When mornings are busy it feels awfully easy to seize a quick pastry or donut and call it breakfast. But what’s easiest is not always healthiest. That’s why we love breakfasts like this that can be made ahead and reheated throughout the week to take on-the-go.
This Zucchini Breakfast Casserole is so quick to mix up and it lends itself well to modification. It’s kind of like a crustless quiche, which means that as far as ingredients go it’s totally versatile. We like to add a little chili flake for the tiniest kick but if that’s not your thing you can leave it out, or even add some thyme instead. A little bit of ham or cooked bacon mixed in makes this a bit heartier, but all the protein from the eggs will keep you satisfied throughout the morning.
Any kind of summer squash works well here, so if you grew a couple of yellowish crooknecks over the summertime, grate ’em up and throw ’em in. It’s nice to get some good veggies along with your breakfast time and they’re loaded into this little bake. It’s low carbohydrate and filled with nutrition and we just love that it’s very easy! (And darn tasty, too.)
Zucchini Breakfast Casserole
45 minutes to get ready serves 4-6
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 1/2 a medium onion, grated
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flake (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 9×5-in . loaf pan.
- Place the grated zucchini in a kitchen towel or a few paper towels and collect it into a ball and press the excess dampness out.
- Place zucchini in a medium dish, and add the onion, sour cream, beaten eggs, garlic clove, sodium and pepper, and chili flake, if using. Blend until well mixed. Mix in 1 glass of the cheddar parmesan cheese.
- Spoon mixture into prepared loaf pan and top with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake until firm and top is golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Enjoy!