WARNING: Iced Tea is Dangerous

A man from Arkansas was rushed to the emergency room because he was feeling very sick. The 56-year old was hospitalized credited to problems about body pains, exhaustion, weakness, and nausea.

Doctors were puzzled along with his case, but it was later uncovered that he was actually experiencing kidney failing. More studies were conducted on the unexplainable case before doctors found out that too much intake of iced tea may be the true culprit behind the fatal condition.

Iced Tea Compound May Be the Main Reason
iced teaThe New England Journal of Medicine described the problem as iced tea nephropathy. It had been here that more info was disclosed where the way to obtain the challenge was actually oxalate, which really is a compound that is available not only in iced tea, but also in other food stuffs. However, when consumed in substantial quantities, oxalate can be dangerous to your body, treatment method the next conditions are fulfilled:

  • Has had gastric bypass surgery
  • Too much juicing
  • Eating foods that are rich with vitamin C or ascorbic acid, including strawberries, spinach, and beets

Those three conditions are very rare for just one individual to meet though. Sadly for the United States citizen, he was taking in not merely a couple of cups of iced tea each day, but 16 of the juice in a cup measuring nine ounces. Which means that he gets at least 1,500 milligrams of oxalate each day.

Why Is It Dangerous?

Since oxalate exists in a great many other foods, it may be alarming to think that you could be consuming too much of the compound without you knowing. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends though that you can consume foods that have the compound provided that you do not go over the 40 to 50 milligram limit every day.

Drinking iced tea once or twice a day will not even exceed the acceptable range for the average person. However, the patient was actually drinking 10 times the recommended amount. What happened was that the oxalate contributed to him developing kidney stones. Over time, the kidney stones kept blocking the flow of his urine, so there have been real oxalate crystals found inside his kidney. This therefore activated an anti-inflammatory response, which then triggered scarring plus some deficits of the cells encircling the kidney. The doctors theorized that could be what occurred with the individual.

Ultimately, the patient had to endure dialysis and could have to endure that for the others of his life because his kidneys are thoroughly damaged.

About Author: