Heart disease is the top killer disease in the world, particularly in the West. Anyone can have this health problem, regardless of the age and background.
Oftentimes, heart disease is related to atherosclerosis, which is the thickening of walls in the arteries because of plaque buildup.
There are drugs that can help combat cardiovascular problems, but if you’re looking for a natural method, there’s a substance that can actually prevent cardiac mortality and heart disease. This natural substance is within pomegranates.
Pomegranates have been a subject of some scientific studies, including:
- A 2000 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, which showed that the juice of the fruit has antiatherogenic effects. This means it can prevent formation of fatty deposits in the arterial walls, thanks to the antioxidants in the fruit.
- A 2004 study performed by Israeli scientists on patients with carotid artery stenosis or those whose arteries that supply blood to the neck and head narrow. A group was given pomegranate juice for one year and half of them continued to drink it for three years. The study showed that they experienced reversal of up to 30%. Their blood pressure decreased as well.
- A 2013 study published in the Atherosclerosis journal concerning mice with genetic problems related to spontaneous coronary artery obstructions. These mice were given extracts from the fruit. After two weeks, the results showed their atherosclerotic features decreased. The same study showed that pomegranates also lower oxidative stress and vessel wall inflammation.
But how does the pomegranate fruit do all these heart-friendly capabilities? Long story short, it has scientifically proven properties that include:
- Anti-inflammatory effect since inflammation is one of the main causes of chronic diseases, including heart disease
- Lowers blood pressure, which reduces strain on the heart and the arteries
- Anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties which is helpful in fighting plaque buildup since secondary bacterial and viral infections, including chlamydia pneumonia and hepatitis C can donate to arterial blockages.
- Antioxidant that flushes away poisons and reduces oxidative stress
A little part of plaque can already block your arterial wall which can result in blood clots that could hinder the blood circulation to the heart. Because of this, stroke or heart attack can occur. Atherosclerosis is a Heart disease that may be the effect of an amount of problems, including high degrees of LDL cholesterol and endothelium irritation where the cells in the within of the arteries develop atherosclerosis.
Pomegranates and pomegranate juice or extract can stop atherosclerosis and heart disease with the antioxidant content, mainly the polyphenols and vitamin C. Add this to your daily food diet, particularly if you’re at risk of developing the disease to cleanse your arteries and free yourself from worries.