If you’re used to drinking a hot glass of chamomile tea to finish line your day, here’s something that’s even better: golden milk. This beverage is so calming that many people love drinking it before they go to bed. But this doesn’t mean that you can’t drink it in the morning. In fact, it is a great replacement for coffee.
What is the Golden Milk?
If you’re lactose intolerant, golden milk isn’t a milk product, but is truly a mixture of turmeric spice and coconut milk (sometimes coconut oil). Turmeric is popular since it is accountable for the golden color in curry meals, but additionally it is famous for its ingredient called curcumin, which includes many health advantages, including:
- The ability to modulate about 700 genes
- Makes cell membranes more organized
- Affects several signaling molecules, such as inflammatory molecules, DNA and RNA, histone, and cell survival proteins
Turmeric’s curcumin is technically the most studied spice in the world and has shown to contain potent anti-inflammatory properties – it might even defeat some known drugs. There are plenty of chronic diseases are triggered by inflammation, including diabetes, heart attack, and rheumatoid arthritis. And if you’re looking to get more explanations why you should start sipping on golden milk, here are the benefits you can gain from this drink:
- Maintain healthy cholesterol levels
- Suppress type 2 diabetes symptoms
- Stop platelet clumping
- Prevent rheumatoid arthritis symptoms
- Enhance healing of wounds
- Protect the body against liver damage
- Prohibit formation of tumors
- Protect the eyes against problems, such as cataracts
- Increase production of bile
- Stop replication of HIV virus
There are several ways to make golden milk, but the most popular is the combination of turmeric and coconut milk. You can add coconut oil or you can alternative the milk with oil. With the benefits laid out, here’s how you can make golden milk at home. The ingredients to make turmeric paste are:
- ¼ cup of turmeric powder
- Half a teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Half a cup of water (must be filtered)
Using the ingredients above, make the paste with the following steps:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Use medium-high warmth while combining the ingredients.
- Stir constantly until you get a solid paste.
- Let the combination cool and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
For the milk, you will need:
- One cup of coconut milk
- One teaspoon of virgin coconut oil (optional)
- At least ¼ teaspoon of the turmeric paste described above
- Raw, unpasteurized honey
Make the milk with the following steps:
- Leaving the honey behind, combine the ingredients in a saucepan.
- Cook them in medium hit.
- Stir until the mixture is hot, but make sure it is not boiling.
- Let the milk cool down, then add the turmeric paste.
You can also add cinnamon and/or stevia in place of honey, which will even boost the benefits.