Castor oil is extracted from seed products of the castor oil plant. It really is colorless to very pale yellow in color with an unpleasant odor.
This oil has traditionally been used topically for skin and hair benefits. Today, the cosmetic industry uses castor oil as a main ingredient in many beauty care products.
Most of the beauty benefits can be attributed to its high ricinoleic acid content. Ricinoleic acid, an unsaturated omega-9 fatty acid and a hydroxyl acid, has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
The oil is also high in vitamin E, nutrients, proteins and other nutrients that are advantageous to skin and hair.
To reap the wonder advantages of castor essential oil, always opt for natural and organic castor essential oil. It ought to be cold-pressed and natural, virgin castor essential oil.
Before using castor oil topically, always do a patch to rule out the possibility of any allergic reaction.
Here are the top 10 castor oil beauty benefits for skin and hair.
1. Nourishes Dry Skin
Castor oil works as a great moisturizer for dry skin. As it penetrates deep in to the epidermis, it works well at treating dried out, flaky epidermis patches.
The high concentration of fatty acid also promotes healthy and glowing skin and supports skin conditions like dermatitis, which can cause severely hard, dry skin.
Also, this oil promotes the creation of elastin and collagen, that assist delay the looks of aging signs and continues your skin layer looking youthful.
- Mix equal elements of castor essential oil and coconut essential oil and therapeutic massage it in to the dry out skin area. Wait around 20 to thirty minutes, then have a shower. Do it again daily.
- After getting rid of your makeup and washing your face at night, apply a few drops of castor oil on your face and massage gently for a couple of minutes. The next morning, you will have a hydrated and refreshed look.
2. Reduces Wrinkles
This natural emollient can reduce the appearance of crow’s-feet, wrinkles and fine lines.
As this oil easily penetrates the skin layers, it will not clog the skin pores. Actually, it can reach deep in to the epidermis to nourish it. In addition, it helps decrease the appearance of blemishes and marks on epidermis.
Gentle massage your skin layer with a few drops of castor oil in round motion daily during the night prior to going to sleep. Continue accomplishing this for at least 4 to 6 6 months to get the desired results.
3. Promotes Hair Growth
Apart from pores and skin, castor oil is also good for hair. It helps deep condition and thicken the hair strands to give you a beautiful and shiny head of thicker hair.
The ricinoleic acid in it can help balance the scalp’s pH level. This reduces the chance of dandruff, divide ends and locks breakage.
- Massage therapy warm castor essential oil into the root base, scalp and locks prior to going to bed. Clean it off each day. Do it double a week.
- For those with oily hair, blend castor oil with coconut oil or sweet almond oil in equal proportions and use as described above.
4. Thickens Eyebrows and Eyelashes
If you want thicker eyebrows and eyelashes, your solution is castor oil. This follicle-stimulating and nourishing oil can help thicken the hair of your brows as well as lashes. It contains protein, vitamins and fatty acids that nourish the hair follicles and promote hair growth.
Plus, it helps battle micro-organisms that hamper hair growth.
- Dip a cotton swab in castor oil and rub it into your eyebrows each night before you go to bed. Repeat until your eyebrows reach the desired thickness.
- For thicker eyelashes, close your eyes and gently apply castor oil on your lashes. Do it daily at night before going to bed. Continue for at least a week or two to get normally much longer and thicker eyelashes.
5. Prevents Stretch Marks
When used during pregnancy, castor oil prevents the forming of stretch marks. Essentially, it works as a humectant, assisting your skin layer retain moisture and keep maintaining elasticity.
Furthermore, the essential fatty acids in it maximize the ability of the skin to regenerate tissues to improve the skin strength and texture.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of castor oil with 2 tablespoons of sweet almond oil. Apply the mixture daily on stretch mark prone areas, like the abdomen, thighs and chest, to avoid the unpleasant marks from developing.
- To fade stretchmarks, massage the affected area with pure castor oil for 10 minutes and then cover the area with plastic wrap. Apply heat using a heating pad for 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat once daily.
6. Softens Calluses
This thick oil is a great moisturizer that helps soften calluses by treating dried out, rough skin. When put on the afflicted area, it can help restore the dampness and provides softness.
Also, its anti-inflammatory property helps alleviate the pain and swelling that can make walking difficult.
Additionally it is effective for treating corns as well as dry out and cracked pumps.
- Soak your feet in warm water for 10 minutes.
- Using a pumice stone, scrub the area to get rid of thick and hardened skin.
- Rinse off your ft and pat them dry.
- Next, soak a cotton ball in castor oil and place it on the callus or corn.
- Secure the cotton ball with a small piece of tape and leave it for many hours.
- Do it again daily until you are content with the result.
7. Treats Brittle and Cracked Nails
This thick oil is also able to treating brittle and cracked nails. The various minerals and vitamins in castor essential oil promote nail development and make sure they are strong. Plus, its antifungal properties decrease the threat of fungal infection.
You can choose from any of the following remedies:
- Put a drop of pure castor oil on each toenail and massage it into your nails for 1 minute. Do this daily before going to bed.
- Another option is to mix castor oil with olive oil in equivalent proportions and use it as a evening cream for your nails as well as hands.
8. Heals Chapped Lips
For dark and chapped lips, castor oil is highly beneficial. The moisturizing property of the dense, viscous liquid helps to keep the lip area moisturized and properly nourished. It can benefit treat as well as prevent chapped lip area.
Plus, it can help keep your lip area soft and red. Actually, it is situated in a several commercial lip care products.
- Make a lip mask with 1 teaspoon each of castor oil and glycerin and a few drops of fresh lemon juice. Blend it well and apply it on your lips before going to bed. The next morning, wipe it off with a cotton ball dipped in lukewarm water. Repeat daily until your lips are healed.
- On the other hand, mix equal levels of castor oil and almond oil. Therapeutic massage it into the lips several times per day until your lip area are gentle and even again.
9. Repairs Split Ends
For controlling split ends, deep conditioning is crucial. It helps regain moisture and improve the overall health of hair. Castor oil is a good choice for deep conditioning.
- Apply a few drops of warm castor oil directly onto the ends of hair.
- Wait 30 minutes, then shampoo hair as usual.
- Repeat a couple of times a week.
10. Soothes Sunburn
The soothing and anti-inflammatory properties of castor oil are beneficial in treating sunburns. The ricinoleic acid in it will protect any sunburn-induced blisters.
Plus, the omega-3 fatty acids in it help keep the skin hydrated as well as stimulate growth of healthy tissue.
Along with sunburn, castor oil is even effective at treating hyperpigmentation and clears the skin of spots and marks.
- Mix the contents of 1 1 vitamin E capsule and 5 drops of castor oil in a bowl. Use it on the afflicted pores and skin prior to going to bed. Another morning, wash it off with cold water. Use this treatment daily until you are content with the result.
- On the other hand, mix castor oil with coconut oil in equal proportions. Use it to the afflicted area, massaging gently so that it penetrates into the skin.
Repeat a few times daily for a couple of weeks.
Note: Make sure your face is free of any makeup before using these remedies. Take necessary measures to prevent castor oil from getting into your eyes.