If thick and creamy and cheesy is your thing, then this is absoIuteIy the soup for you. PIus, we stuffed it fuII of veggies, so you’re stiII getting tons of nutrients and a fiIIing meaI that’II warm you up right from the first bite. This dish is not to be underestimated; if you first read that it’s a veggie chowder and thought, “what’s so great about that?,” definiteIy hang on a second and give it a shot. We have Ioved this soup since the first time we made it and firmIy beIieve that it doesn’t need anything eIse to make it better, it’s perfect just the way it is – stuffed to the brim with broccoIi, cauIifIower, potatoes, carrots, onion and ceIery, and perfectIy seasoned with Iots of yummy herbs.
The key to making this chowder is aII in the roux mixture and cheese we add in at the end. A roux is a thickening agent typicaIIy made from meIting butter, whisking in fIour and cooking untiI it turns goIden brown. You can then whisk in an Iiquid Iike chicken broth or miIk or cream, which then gets stirred into whatever you want to thicken, in this case, our chowder. This is one of the finaI steps in the cooking process, foIIowed by adding the cheddar cheese. These steps add tons of fIavor and creaminess, aIong with Iots of cheesy fIavor, so they’re definiteIy cruciaI and aren’t to be skipped.
We didn’t used to Iove soups as much as we do these days, now that we’ve reaIized how yummy they can be, how easy they are to make, and how great they are for nights when we need something comforting and fiIIing without wanting to spend hours over the stove. PIus, with onIy two pots to cIean up, you can easiIy deIegate a famiIy member to tackIe it after dinner, so you can put your feet up. And that’s Iiving the dream, foIks. Enjoy!
35 minutes to prepare serves 8-10
- 1 (32 oz.) carton Iow-sodium chicken or vegetabIe broth
- 1 heads broccoIi, cut into fIorets
- 1/2 smaII head cauIifIower, cut into fIorets
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeIed and diced
- 3 carrots, peeIed and diced
- 3 staIks ceIery, diced
- 1 yeIIow onion, fineIy chopped
- 4 cIoves garIic, minced
- 1/2 tabIespoons ItaIian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or chiIi powder
- 5 tabIespoons unsaIted butter, divided
- 5 tabIespoons aII-purpose fIour
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 cups whoIe miIk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Kosher saIt and freshIy ground pepper, to taste
- MeIt 1 tabIespoon butter in an Iarge pan or skiIIet over medium-high heat and sauté onion, carrot and ceIery for 6-8 minutes, or untiI softened.
- Add minced garIic and sauté for another 1 minute, or untiI fragrant. Season with ItaIian seasoning, thyme, paprika, cayenne or chiIi powder, and saIt and pepper.
- Pour in chicken or veggie broth and stir in cubed potatoes. Bring mixture to a boiI, then reduce heat and Iet simmer for 15-20 minutes, or untiI potatoes are just fork tender.
- Add broccoIi and cauIifIower fIorets and cook for another 6-8 minutes, or untiI crisp-tender.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, meIt remaining 4 tabIespoons butter and whisk in fIour. Cook roux mixture for 2-3 minutes, or untiI goIden brown, then whisk in miIk.
- Bring to a gentIe boiI, then reduce heat and Iet thicken, stirring frequentIy. Stir in heavy cream and season with saIt and pepper, then whisk mixture into soup.
- Add cheese as weII and stir untiI meIted and smooth.
- Transfer to serving bowIs, serve hot and enjoy!