We love everything about fall in this house. In the leaves changing color to the fresh apples at the farmer’s market, we’re crazy about this much cooler season. We also love when a formula puts a new spin on an old favorite. That’s why we’re crazy about this spicy vegetable soup. It’s just like a great potato chowder, but it adds the sweetness of butternut squash and creamy coconut milk with only a hint of Thai flavor. The best part about this warming soup is that it cooks up in the sluggish cooker, and there’s nothing we like more than set-it-and-forget-it meals!
Sometimes we leave the curry paste out of this formula if we’re cooking food for picky child tastes. After the sluggish cooker spent some time working its magic, we put in a little extra effort to whip this into a smooth and creamy soup, with enough chunkiness to give it great texture, turning this into a delicious, almost chowder-like soup that is rich and hearty. So the next time you need a comforting fall stew that the family will love, look no further than our spicy vegetable soup.
Spicy Vegetable Soup
3 hours to prepare serves 4-6
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Add squash, potatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and vegetable broth to slow cooker. Cook on high 3 hours or until squash and potatoes are soft.
- Stir in coconut milk, curry paste, salt and pepper.
- Take out 1/2 soup and mash remaining soup in slow cooker. Blend other half, then stir together. Do more or less blending for desired consistency.