Soda is one of the most consumed drinks all around the world. There are even some individuals who choose this over drinking water. If you’re a health nut, you know drinking soda is bad idea, particularly if you transform it into a habit.
An infographic that depicts the consequences of coke to your body is making its rounds online and is truly a trending topic in many sociable media platforms. The infographic shows how the fizzy drink affects the body when it enters the system, starting from the first 10 minutes up to an hour.
First 10 Minutes
After consuming coke, here are the things that happen to your body during the first 10 minutes:
- You just dumped 10 teaspoons of sugar in your body, equivalent to more than 100% of the recommended daily sugar intake.
- Despite the high amounts of sugars, you don’t feel nauseous or dizzy. This is thanks to phosphoric acid, which reduces the mind-boggling sickness that should come with the beverage.
After 20 Minutes
- The levels of sugar within the body increase, so insulin fires up.
- Your liver then reacts to the hormone shoot up by turning the excess sugar into body fat.
After 40 Minutes
- Caffeine has already been absorbed by your body completely.
- Pupil dilation as well as a rise in blood pressure is the normal emotion of your body because of the full total caffeine absorption.
- Because of the body’s replies mentioned previously, the liver will once again react, prompting it to release even more sugar into the blood.
- Your brain also participates in the action because its receptors or the gates that receive the depressant to the central nervous system called adenosine are blocked. That is just why there are occasions when people get that “high” feeling every time they drink coke.
Five Minutes Later
- In the 45-minute mark after consuming a can of soda, your dopamine levels increase.
- When the dopamine levels are greater than normal, regions of the brain are activated. You’ll then gain that feeling of pleasure. You are able to compare this to the consequences of the drug, heroin.
After One Hour
Multiple reactions in the body happen almost at the same time:
- Your metabolism quickly increases due to phosphoric acid’s inclination to add itself to various nutrients, including calcium mineral, zinc, and magnesium, that are located in the large intestines.
- Your calcium levels also reduce because you will be excreting them through urine due to the high amounts of sugar in the beverage.
- You urinate more, so you lose more water and electrolytes – therefore leading to loss of nutrition in the body.
Finally, sugar crash happens where every positive effect you have experienced wanes in a rather speedy manner. As a result, you become very irritable and you feel dehydrated.