Freezing your food provides you convenience. When you freeze your food, you can plan meals in advance and even take your meal on the run. Freezers can be likened to a little pantry because they help you avoid needless vacations to the supermarket. What’s more, you will have food available.
While freezing food is effective for households, it’s important that you realize this can decrease the quality of food. For example, when you freeze meat, this can harm the cell wall space and both flavor and the freshness are affected.
While freezing is convenient, allowing the meals to thaw out and putting it back again to the freezer can be considered a bad idea. There are many rules to check out, particularly with refreezing. Here are foods you should NEVER refreeze:
1. Ice Cream: Surprise! For most people, it makes sense to refreeze ice cream, but this is an extremely bad idea. This is a dairy product and it can spoil very fast once thawed. Additionally, you will find that the change in flavor and consistency: signals that it is now trash.
2. Fruit Juice: Once thawed, don’t refreeze fruit juices, particularly concentrates. They lose their quality and it is often hard to reconstitute with water.
3. Smoothies: Best to drink smoothies on the spot. Most of the smoothies come with milk, so thawing them is not a good idea as they become lumpy.
4. Raw Meats: Never refreeze meats once they have thawed from the counter-top. They not only become smelly, however they also change in color, meaning they are no more safe to consume. That is also suitable with sea food and poultry.
5. Cooked Meats: Apart from fresh meats, it’s also highly recommended to avoid refreezing leftover meat. Only take meat out once because protein easily go south after thawing them for the second time. You definitely don’t want to eat bad meat.
6. Salad Greens: Salads are tastier with crispy greens, but you cannot achieve this if you freeze them. For instance, if you want to use lettuce, avoid refreezing this vegetable as it can become limp, flavorless, and smooth.
If you want to refreeze your food, make sure there are still snow crystals. But still, use your best view here. For instance, big foods, such as turkey, should not be refrozen even though they still have snow crystals. This is because they can be warm inside and thus is unsafe that you should eat. If you need to refreeze raw meat, make sure it is still cold. Make it under 40F and you’ll be able to put it back in the fridge.