Come wintertime, I crave warm, yummy, soul-nourishing foods to start my day. I used to be inspired to make such a dish with my naturopathic twist on food to aid the fitness of my gut and other people that has gut issues. I am a firm believer that food is medicine and with my natural and nutritional knowledge, I wanted to share this scrumptious gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and vegetarian friendly breakfast to help soothe your digestive woes.
So, why did I choose these ingredients?
Chamomile has a lovely nice, floral flavour and is a natural go-to that is proven to help indigestion, colic, cramping and changing bowel motions.
Cinnamon is excellent for balancing blood sugar levels and may assist in a belly cramps and spasms.
Pear provides a great source of pectin (soluble fibre) that can help keep you full, regulate blood sugar and give you wonderful soft stools.
Quinoa flakes provide a great gluten-free way to obtain fiber and are an excellent option to oats. Fiber is which can have health-protective results and disease-reversal benefits for cardiovascular disease, hypertension, diabetes, weight problems, and certain gastrointestinal diseases. Staying away from gluten can also be beneficial even though you don’t have coeliac disease, as you might have non-celiac gluten awareness, which is five times more frequent.
Chamomile, Cinnamon and Pear Porridge
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 5-10 min
Time poor? Adjust the amounts and make in mass. This formula can last up to 4 times in the refrigerator so you can easily reheat in the times to come.
- 2/3 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 2/3 glass boiling water
- 2 heaped tbsp loose chamomile herb or 2 teabags
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pear with skin on, diced
- Coconut yogurt to serve (optional dairy yogurt)
- Nuts and seeds to serve
- Boil drinking water and make your self 1 2/3 mugs of chamomile tea. Steep the loose chamomile or tea hand bags for at least quarter-hour and then stress.
(Tip: for a more powerful chamomile taste use more chamomile and steep for longer.)
- Inside a saucepan add quinoa flakes, 1 1/3 cups of chamomile tea, pear and cinnamon.
- Cook on the medium-high temperature for 5-10 minutes stirring regularly. Make until the chamomile tea is absorbed and the pear is warm. You can add the extra 1/3-cup chamomile tea as you need if you like a thinner consistency.
- Serve when you have reached your desired consistency and top with your favorite yogurt and nuts and seeds.