Turmeric is a powerful condiment and remedy for several illnesses. If facing the cold season is hard for you because of flu, cough, and congested nostrils, you only need to turn to turmeric to stop these.
While there are a lot of recipes that allow you to harness the healing benefits of turmeric, here is one that is especially made for people who have impending cold. To start, you will need the following ingredients:
- Five to seven inches of turmeric
- Two lemons
- Five to seven tamarind
- Raw honey
You will also need the following ready in your kitchen:
- Mason jars or any glass jar that has a lid
- Big pot
- Wooden utensil
With the equipment and ingredients ready, here are the steps you need to follow to prepare the drink:
1 . Take the turmeric roots and peel them all. Don’t be surprised if your fingers turn yellow. But there is certainly nothing to worry here because soaps can get rid of the color. Your cutting board could also turn yellow, but you can just simply wash it with dish soap to solve the problem. Use sponge to remove the stain.
2 . Crack the tamarinds and get the inner fruit. Make sure you remove the inner roots as well since you’re not going to need them in this recipe.
3. In a big pot, have it full with water.
4. Put the peeled turmeric in the pot.
5. Let the water boil and let it stay for at least 20 minutes.
6. Turn off the fire once the water changes color – ideally into vibrant yellow or marigold.
7. When the water is boiling, ready a pan. Put an inch of water in it.
8. Add the peeled tamarinds in the pan.
9. Use a wooden utensil to move the peeled fruits around. Stop the fire when the tamarinds dissolve and have jam-like texture. You can add more water in case the jam looks dry. The seeds should start coming out.
10. Back to the water with turmeric, add a bit of cold water to cool it down a little bit.
11. Take the water with turmeric and put it into the blender. Make sure the turmeric roots are there.
12. Start the blender and start processing.
13. Meanwhile, back to the tamarind jam in the pan, pour this into the strainer and get the substance. Use the wooden utensils to get most of the jam. Make sure there are no peels or seeds, only the soft bits from the fruit.
14. Once done, pour the tamarind jam into the blender and let it blend with the turmeric water.
15. Add the lemons to the blender and start blending once again.
16. Take the mixture and place it in the mason jars.
17. Add honey before you close the lid.
18. Shake to combine all the ingredients together.
19. Place inside your fridge and store for up to four days.
Drink this elixir daily to keep yourself away from colds.